A security system monitored by ADT is always your first line of defense to protect your home and family from burglary, fire and unauthorized intrusion. You should also consider the following steps to help lower your risk of being a victim.
- Shrubbery and landscaping should be kept trimmed around all first floor doors and windows
- Exterior lighting and motion sensors should be used to prevent concealment
- Exterior doors should be equipped with 1" deadbolt locks and if glass is within 40" of the lock consider using a double cylinder dead bolt type lock.
- Do not hide a spare key in obvious locations such as under the mat or in a plant by the door. If you must hide a key, be creative or use a key lock box.
- Do not let mail or newspapers accumulate, have a neighbor if possible collect it and keep it till your return.
- Give the appearance the home is occupied by using both lights and sound when the home is unoccupied for extended periods of time. Use a timer or better yet let your security system to control these functions for you.
- Use a safe or safety deposit box to store cash, jewelry and other small valuables if at all possible.
- Keep blinds or drapes closed so as not to give someone on the outside the ability to see on the inside.
- Don't announce any pending trips or vacations on social media sites where it can possible fall into the wrong hands.
- As simple as it sounds, don't leave any windows or doors unlocked even during the day when you are at home. Thieves take the path of least resistance and there is nothing easier than entering through an unlocked door or window.
For additional information on specific areas of concern like; child safety, senior safety or Fire safety check out the following websites: